Monday, June 15, 2015

Back in "The States" (Reflection)

(My own choosing #3)

Being back in America is surreal. After coming back from three months of new things and experiences, it was a culture shock to have familiar things everywhere. I keep forgetting that, yes the waiter does speak English, and no I don't have to pay to use the public bathrooms.
Reflecting for the past week and a half has left me in awe at how lucky I have been to experience everything that I have in these three short months. Short is an understatement. When I think about my first week in the Czech Republic, it seems like just last week or a few days ago. But looking back, I am a completely different person and I know that the small portion of this large world that I saw changed my life forever.
For any future travelers that are thinking about or going on this trip I have hopefully some helpful advice:
  •  Being scared is completely and totally normal, and I think if I wouldn't have gotten so scared before I left, I wouldn't have been able to realize how silly I was being and how much I would love it.
  • Packing: Pack what you need and not what you think you need. If you don't wear it at home you won't wear it there. This was especially hard for me. If anything just save up more money and buy clothes in Europe. Who doesn't like saying "yeah I got this in Europe." There is an H&M in every city you will go to and they have cute things for good prices. Pack multiple pairs of shoes and be prepared to leave them. Boots are heavy and you may have to part with a nice pair. By the end of it, you will memorize your classmates outfits and the answer to "didn't they wear that yesterday?" is always yes. 
  • I came in with friends and not only that but my roommate. I am so grateful to have had them with me and I wouldn't have traded it for the world. It is important to have people around you who you feel comfortable with and who you are ready to know everything about. Getting annoyed with these people is normal and bound to happen. Learning each others ticks and ways about them is so fun because you get to know a stranger by the end of it that might turn out to be your best friends. 
  • Weekend Traveling: Don't pack heavy. It is a pain to carry around a giant backpack if you don't get the chance to stop at your hostel before you start doing things. There will probably be a trip that you take on your own without a teacher with you where you aren't as prepared as you thought you were. Take suggestions from people who have been to that city and try to plan out your day as best as you can. Nothing sucks more than being a bad tourist in an awesome city. 
  • Spend your money. I brought over $2000 and ran out. That is how much I earned the three months I was at home and I had to borrow from my parents, but paying it off was worth it. I regret not buying the cute scarf in Amsterdam and I don't regret spending $18 on a gondola ride in Venice. Paying for experiences is always worth it and it makes for great pictures and stories. 
  • Travel for yourself. This is the time in your life that you can be selfish. You can take these weekend trips with your friends and have fun doing it. There is nothing wrong with buying yourself a t-shirt or buying expensive pasta in Italy. Don't hesitate and learn as much as you can about yourself. It will be so worth it in the end when you have a boat load of stories, new friends, and awesome experiences.
My old new best friends
Listen to this.




















I learned, in the past three months more than I have in any classroom ever. Not only information on the history of Europe and America, but about myself, my peers and my outlook on the world. I wouldn't trade this for anything and I recommend it for anyone.  I think that studying abroad should be a requirement for everyone to graduate. If you have any doubts about going just stop it. GO. It is only three months and it was the best of my life. I will always keep the Czech Republic close to my heart and it will always be a home away from home.



No comments:

Post a Comment